APPLY FOR THE SPARTAN ORIENTATION STAFF!
Check Back on September 27, 2021
Spartan Orientation Staff members serve the university by helping to welcome and transition new students and their family members to UNCG. The goal of an SOS is to convey important information about UNCG and ensure SOAR Orientation, Rawkin' Welcome Weeks (RWW) , and NAV1GATE are educational, engaging, and run effectively.
- Be committed to fulfilling NST & FYE mission and vision
- Demonstrate a commitment to UNCG and a willingness to serve others.
- Exhibit qualities of a student leader: reliable, responsible, confident, flexible, positive attitude, strong work ethic, teamwork, strong communication and interpersonal skills, problem solver, takes initiative, and able to manage conflict.
- Each candidate must be a full-time UNCG undergraduate student and have completed 12 credit hours at UNCG by January 2022.
- Maintain a 2.75 minimum cumulative GPA throughout the time of employment.
- Be a full-time student in good academic standing with the University, and uphold the University standards of conduct. No student may hold the position while on academic or disciplinary probation as defined by the Student Code of Conduct.
- Must be available for all SOAR sessions in June 2022, August 2022, and January 2023.
- Must attend all SOS training during Spring 2022, May Training, and August Training.
- Work various departmental events such as NAV1GATE, RWW, and SPEARS.
- A stipend of $1,450 paid out in three installments over May through July
- Hourly pay at a rate of $7.25 for the August SOAR 2022, Rawkin’ Welcome Weeks/NAV1GATE, and January SOAR 2023
- SOAR Uniform
- On-campus housing from the start of May Training through the end of SOAR (exact move-in and move-out dates will be provided closer to the date)
- Select meals during training
- Meals during the SOAR Program
Join us to learn more about the Spartan Orientation Staff position. Details for interest session location will be posted on this website and YFY instagram @uncg_yfy .
- October 6 - Interest Session: 4pm-5pm
- October 11 - Interest Session: 5:30pm-6:30pm
- October 19 - Interest Session: 3:30pm-4pm
Being a part of the Spartan Orientation Staff is a great way to serve UNCG. The SOS position involves a three-step selection process. The first step in the selection process consists of an online application. The application can be found on Handshake (handshake.uncg.edu) with Job Code #5339510 This application will collect basic information as well as a supplemental application attached online. Be sure to download the supplemental document and upload your completed version to your application.
The application is open through October 22 at 11:55pm.
The SOS position involves a three-step selection process.
Step 1: Application
Complete the application on Handshake, including the supplemental document, by 11:55pm on October 22.
Step 2: Group Interview
The first round of interviews will be group interviews on either Monday November 1, 2021 from 5-8 p.m. or Tuesday November 2, 2021 from 11:30 a.m. or 2:30 p.m. based on what the applicant selects in the application. More information about group interviews will be provided closer to the date.
Step 3: Individual Interviews (if invited)
If you are invited to proceed in the interview process, you will receive further information on how to sign up for an individual interview. These will take place either in person or via Zoom. More details will be provided to those who move on from Step 2 of the selection process.
“This job is perfect for students who are interested in serving the campus community by welcoming incoming students. It is a great way to make new friends, develop as a professional and as a leader. My time on the team, though unconventional, was amazing and I would do it all over again! It taught flexibility and problem solving, both great skills to have!” -Kaylah Piner (2020/2021 Team)
“You should apply to be an SOS because it helps increase Social and Communication skills as well as Professional Speaking. Also this job gives you life-long Friends! Being an SOS helped me become more confident in my public speaking. I also gained many helpful connections and networks.” -Victoria Howard (2021 Team)
“I would recommend the SOS position for so many reasons, from having a family on UNCG's campus, to finding your own self-confidence in leading others. Being an SOS opened my eyes entirely to the world of opportunities out there that I can work for by staying true to myself and know myself as an individual. The SOS experience helped me come out of my shell from being an introverted person directly out of high school to a confident leader of my fellow students. Having the support of your team does not just end at the door when you leave a meeting or event. Your team supports in and out of the position for that is what a family does; from classes, to work, to personal struggles, your SOS family will always have your back.” -Rebecca Yakel (2020 Team)