Resources for Academic Success
UNCG is committed to student success and provides programs and services that will support students as they grow personally and academically. It is important that students be aware and take advantage of the services that UNCG has to offer. Some of the programs and services designed to assist students are listed below.
Few experiences in students’ academic careers have as much potential for influencing their development as academic advising. Advisors help students understand how to develop sound academic and career goals, become successful learners, and understand their role in the academic community. Advising at UNCG may feel very different from advising in high school. In comparison, choosing classes in high school is relatively simple because there are fewer choices. At UNCG, there are over 100 different majors, providing students with a variety of choices when selecting courses.
In the New Student Portal, students will complete the Class Schedule Interest (CSI) Survey. Students' academic advisor will use this information to register students for classes, and they will have an opportunity to finalize their schedule prior to the start of the Spring semester. Students' must complete this survey to sign up for an orientation session, so they should complete the survey as soon as possible.
At UNCG, academic programs are organized under seven areas: College of Arts and Sciences, Lloyd International Honors College, Bryan School of Business and Economics, School of Education, School of Health and Human Sciences, College of Visual & Performing Arts, and School of Nursing and, for Exploratory Students, the Students First Office will serve as your advising location. Each academic department provides academic advising to meet the needs of its students. Advising during the first year is much different from the SOAR advising experience. Students are assigned to advisors or advising centers based on their majors during the first semester as advising models vary by department.
College of Arts and Sciences
Lloyd International Honors College
Bryan School of Business and Economics
School of Education
School of Health and Human Sciences
College of Visual & Performing Arts
School of Nursing
Exploratory (Undecided) Majors
Students First Office (SFO)
First-Year Transition Courses
Academic Achievement Center
Office of Accessibility Resources & Services (OARS)
University Writing Center
University Speaking Center
Career & Professional Development
What are Freshman Seminar courses?
Do you have any tips for first-year success that I can share with my student?
We have gathered together the most frequently asked questions about SOAR and answered them all in one place.
Reserving Your Spot at SOAR
- Where do I go to reserve a place at SOAR?
- You will register for SOAR through your SpartanLink account at https://spartanlink.uncg.edu/default.asp
- Why can’t I see a specific date for SOAR?
- Sessions are divided by College or School. You will only see SOAR dates that pertain to your major.
- If you see no dates for SOAR and Reservations are open you may need to check your steps to enrollment and confirm your intent to enroll. Or you may not need to attend SOAR, only new first-time transfers and new first-time freshman including international students are required to attend SOAR.
- If a SOAR session is full it will disappear from the list.
- Is it better to register for earlier SOAR sessions?
- It is best to register for the earliest SOAR session you can attend so that you will have time to prepare for classes and look into getting involved on campus.
- Getting an earlier SOAR session will help with getting the class times you want. However, you will still get the classes you need regardless of which SOAR session you attend.
- Can I bring guests to SOAR?
- Yes, the cost of one guest to attend is included in the freshmen new student fee.
- You will need to register all guests through your SpartanLink account. Space is limited, register guests as soon as possible.
- Additional guests require an additional fee. Additional fees must be paid before the deadline through SpartanLink. Fees can be paid on-site during SOAR check-in but at an increased rate.
- Can I change my SOAR reservation?
- Yes, you can make changes to your SOAR session through your SpartanLink account up to the day before your reservation. If you missed your scheduled session you will have to cancel your session and register for a new session as the SpartanLink system will not allow you to change a session that has passed.
- Can I change my major before SOAR?
- Yes, when you are choosing your SOAR session in SpartanLink it will ask if you would like to change your major. Once you indicate that you would like to change you will be able to select your new major from a drop-down list.
Before You SOAR
- I’ve made my SOAR reservation, now what?
- Fill out your immunization forms, which can be found on the student health center website. You can submit those electronically to Student Health Services.
- You will need to activate your computer accounts to get your UNC Greensboro username and email. you can find more information on activating your computer accounts on the information technology services website
- You will need your official transcripts sent to the registrar’s office before you register for classes.
- Schedule a Campus Tour so you’ll know your way around campus.
- Complete your Class Schedule Interest Survey or CSI in the New Student Portal so your advisors can better help you register for classes.
- Send in a photo to SpartanCard to speed up getting your ID. You will have time to pick up your SpartanCard during SOAR.
- Where am I going for SOAR?
- Check your UNCG email prior to your SOAR session with information about the schedule.
Paying for SOAR
- What does the new student fee include?
- The new student fee covers all of the cost of SOAR. This includes all of the student family SOAR. It also covers all first-year events such as Rawkin’ Welcome Week, NAV1GATE, and more.
- I want to bring a guest will there be a charge for them to attend?
- Yes, the cost of guests to attend is not included in the new student fee.
- You will need to sign-up all guests in the New Student Portal. Space is limited, register guests as soon as possible.
What Happens at SOAR
- At SOAR you will meet other new students and learn about campus resources to help you feel prepared to make a successful transition to college. SOAR sessions are offered in June.
- Do I need to stay for the entire duration of SOAR?
- Students are required to stay for the entire program.
- If an emergency occurs that prevents you from finishing your SOAR session please notify a member of SOAR staff.
- Parents/family are not required to stay for the entire duration; however, it is strongly encouraged.
Will Students and Parents/Family be Together Throughout the Duration of SOAR?
- Students and parents/family have separate programs throughout SOAR.
- This gives parents/family the information they need while giving students the opportunity to experience campus on their own.
- Students and parents/family will have to opportunity to reconnect throughout SOAR during a few programs and during meals.
Who Do I Call if…
- …I have questions about on-campus housing?
- 336.334.5636 | https://hrl.uncg.edu/
- …I need to submit my immunization records?
- 336.334.5340 | https://shs.uncg.edu/
- …I need information on parking passes or where to park?
- 336.334.5681 | https://parking.uncg.edu/
- …I need to sign-up for or change a meal plan?
- …I have questions about financial aid?
- 336.334.5702 | https://fia.uncg.edu/
- …I need a payment plan for tuition?
- 336.334.5831 | https://csh.uncg.edu/payment-plan-information/
- …I need to order books?
- 336.334.5563 | https://bookstore.uncg.edu/
- …I have questions about or need to get my student ID?
- 336.334.5651 | https://spartancard.uncg.edu/
- …I have questions about my admission to the University?
- 336.334.5243 | https://admissions.uncg.edu/
I Completed My Days of SOAR, Now What?