New Spartans need friends to do those things you love to do!
ConnectUp is a program designed to introduce students to one another through GroupMe. New students fill out a quick survey about their interests and hobbies during SOAR. After SOAR, students are sorted into groups based on similar interests and invited to join the group(s) that match their interests. Students who wish to submit additional interests or hobbies post-SOAR can email email@example.com.
- All students in your respective groups will be current UNCG students; we still recommend you use an appropriate level of caution when meeting with one another, as you would with any new-to-you people.
- While you are getting to know group members, meet in well-lit, public areas such as the Elliott University Center (EUC), Jackson Library, or common areas in your residence halls.
- Use your best judgment when meeting with other groups of students.
- When in doubt, bring a friend, roommate, or someone you feel safe with.
- Trust your gut - if something doesn’t feel right, remove yourself from the situation and follow up with designated members of the campus community as appropriate (Resident Assistant, Dean of Students Office, and/or Campus Police).
- Tell a friend when and where you plan to meet others.
- Utilize the LiveSafe app when walking back from areas on campus.
ConnectUp uses the GroupMe platform. Follow these instructions once the YFY team has added you to a group:
1. Open your UNCG email
2. Look for one or more emails from GroupMe with the subject line "Join My GroupMe"
3. Follow the instructions inside the email - you can log in with your pre-existing GroupMe account or create a new account.
4. GroupMe can be accessed through the free GroupMe app or with any web browser.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or text 1-336-541-6939 if you have questions about accessing your ConnectUp groups or using GroupMe.
- Arts & Crafts
- G Force & Sporting Events
- Community Service
- Cooking & Baking
- Outdoor Recreation
- Photography & Videography
- Weight Lifting