SOAR will be hosted in a virtual format, where you will meet other new students and learn about campus resources to help you feel prepared to make a successful transition to college. SOAR sessions are offered in June; all you’ll need is a computing device for Zoom and your smile! After you make your SOAR reservation, there are 4 phases in your onboarding to UNCG:
- BEFORE YOU SOAR
- Added to the SOAR Canvas Course
- Day of SOAR program (includes small groups on Zoom and a live campus resource fair and student organization fair)
- Live Q&A Sessions
Make Your SOAR Reservation
- Log in to your SpartanLink account
- Click Steps to Enrolling
- Confirm your acceptance to UNCG
- Make your SOAR reservation and select the session you will be attending in the New Student Portal
Take Care of These Items
For more information about the types of accounts required and other IT information, visit The Information Technology and Services (ITS) website.
Get familiar with our housing options and review the housing application process through Housing and Residence Life.
Submit your SpartanCard Photo on-line using the SpartanCard Center website.
The UNCG Immunizations office is open Monday – Friday 8 am until 5 pm. The office is located on the second floor of the Anna M. Gove Student Health Center. Find Immunization Forms on the Student Health Center website.
Verify with your high school and/or current college to confirm that an official copy of your academic transcript(s) has been sent to the UNCG Registrar’s Office.
If you are taking 6 or more campus credit hours, you must submit proof of creditable health insurance at: http://www.uncg.edu/shs/student-insurance.
SOAR Dates for Transfer Students in the Fall
- Make sure you complete your SOAR reservation soon so that you find the best date that works for you and your family. In the reservation system, you’ll have the opportunity to make a reservation for you and any parent or family member.
- Students will make a SOAR reservation for one of the following dates: June 10, June 14, and June 23 and will be available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on their SOAR date. The schedule for the program will be available closer to the date.
- We are tentatively planning to host Live Q&A Sessions on June 9, June 15, June 17, June 21, and June 25. More details will be available in the coming weeks.
New Student Fee: $112
The New Student Fee is a standalone fee which covers all SOAR student program costs, accommodations, and materials. The New Student Fee also covers NAV1GATE new student convocation, Rawkin’ Welcome Weeks, and many other first-year programs. Students do not pay their New Student Fee at SOAR. The new student fee is applied directly to the student account, and cannot be waived.
The New Student Fee is still applicable if you attend SOAR, yet decide not to attend UNCG.
The New Student Fee is still applicable if you don’t attend SOAR but do attend UNCG for the respective semester.
Day Of SOAR
UNC Greensboro’s orientation program was postponed and moved to a virtual format in June.
Explore our frequently asked questions below. Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What is June virtual SOAR?
- June Virtual SOAR is the orientation program that will be conducted online that consists of required welcome sessions, student small groups, and panels for both students and families.
How do I sign-up for June virtual SOAR?
- You will sign up for June virtual SOAR at spartanlink.uncg.edu.
If I’ve already signed up for a June SOAR in-person session, do I need to sign-up for a June virtual SOAR session?
- Nope! If you’ve already signed up for a SOAR session, that is the date of your virtual SOAR session.
What is the June virtual SOAR schedule for the day?
- The June virtual SOAR schedule is as follows:
Is June virtual SOAR required?
- Yes, all incoming first-year and transfer undergraduate students are required to attend their June virtual SOAR session and complete their Canvas course. You must complete these two items to receive access to your course schedule.
How do I access the June virtual SOAR sessions?
- Students and families will receive URLs via email to access the YouTube Live Stream and student small groups on Zoom.
Is there a June virtual SOAR option for parents and families of incoming students?
- On the June virtual SOAR date, parents and families will attend the Welcome Session and the Get Involved panel with their students. We will host a Parent & Family only session at 1pm (EST) on the June virtual SOAR date.
If I already paid for my guest, will I get a refund?
- Yes, we are processing all of the guest refunds including additional guests and/or overnight accommodations.
What equipment do I need for June virtual SOAR?
- You will need a computer, tablet, or smartphone to access the June virtual SOAR sessions and the Canvas course.
What will June virtual SOAR cost?
- There is no additional cost to June virtual SOAR. The cost of SOAR is included in the New Student Fee. The New Student Fee is a one-time fee assessed to all new undergraduate students and is used to fund a series of services and programs to support students in the transition to and through the first year of college, such as SOAR, NAV1GATE, Rawkin’ Welcome Weeks, Your First Year, and peer mentor programs. The New Student Fee is applied to the student bill.
When is my Canvas course due?
- Your Canvas course is due two weeks after your June virtual SOAR date.
How do I get my class schedule?
- After attending your June virtual SOAR date and completing your Canvas course, you will receive an email to your UNCG account in late June or early July to access your course schedule and meet with your advisor if you would like to make changes.
Who are the Spartan Orientation Staff (SOS)?
- The Spartan Orientation Staff or SOS are current UNCG students that serve as orientation leaders. They will lead the small group sessions during June virtual SOAR and as a resource to answer questions as students transition to UNCG.
Will there be-in person sessions in August?
- If we are able to gather, we are planning to host in-person orientation programs prior to the first day of classes. We will follow CDC and mandated guidelines to ensure the safety of all students.
Resources for Academic Success
transfer & adult students will meet with their Academic Advising Center to do an advising & registration by appointment (ARA) to get signed up for classes.
Few experiences in students’ academic careers have as much potential for influencing their development as academic advising. Advisors help students understand how to develop sound academic and career goals, become successful learners, and understand their role in the academic community. Advising at UNCG may feel very different from advising in high school. In comparison, choosing classes in high school is relatively simple because there are fewer choices. At UNCG, there are over 100 different majors, providing students with a variety of choices when selecting courses.
In the New Student Portal, you will complete the Class Schedule Interest (CSI) Survey. Your academic advisor will use this information to register you for classes, and you will have an opportunity to finalize your schedule prior to the start of the Fall semester. You must complete this survey to sign up for an orientation session, so complete the survey as soon as possible. The preferred deadline is May 1.
At UNCG, academic programs are organized under seven areas: College of Arts and Sciences, Lloyd International Honors College, Bryan School of Business and Economics, School of Education, School of Health and Human Sciences, College of Visual & Performing Arts, and School of Nursing and, for Exploratory Students, the Students First Office will serve as your advising location. Each academic department provides academic advising to meet the needs of its students. Advising during the first year is much different from the SOAR advising experience. Students are assigned to advisors or advising centers based on their majors during the first semester as advising models vary by department.