We are excited to welcome you to UNCG and help get you started on your college journey! Spartan Orientation, Advising & Registration (SOAR) is a required program for all new UNCG students starting in the spring semester.
SOAR Date & Schedule
As an incoming first-year student, you will be pre-registered for your spring 2024 semester classes by your Academic Advising Center based on the information you provide on the Class Schedule Interest Survey (CSI). To complete your SOAR reservation process in the New Student Portal:
- Complete the Class Schedule Interest (CSI) Survey.
- Make your Spartan Orientation Advising and Registration (SOAR) reservation.
Parking, Meals & Overnight Accommodations
- FREE parking will be available in the Walker Avenue Parking Deck.
- Lunch is provided during SOAR for first-year students.
- Students living on-campus this spring will stay in their on-campus housing assignment. You will move in prior to SOAR on January 4.
- If you are commuting or traveling from a distance and wish to make overnight accommodations; click the link for hotel options.
You can find all SOAR-related materials and resources listed at the link below.
Make Your SOAR Reservations
- SOAR reservations will open on November 1.
- Log in to the New Student Portal and be sure to use your UNCG username and password. Your UNCG username and email address are very similar so they are easy to mix up:
- Complete the Class Schedule Interest (CSI) Survey in the New Student Portal.
- Complete your SOAR reservation.
- Students must make reservations for all guests, and there is a maximum of two guests allowed.
When you are ready to register, click the following link to enter the New Student Portal:
New Student Fee
New Student Fee for First-Year Students: $254
All new students pay the UNCG New Student Fee. This one-time fee covers many programs for new students, including SOAR, NAV1GATE, Rawkin’ Welcome Weeks, Your First Year, and more!
Students do not need to pay the New Student Fee directly; it will be included in your spring student bill, and cannot be waived.
The New Student Fee is still applicable if:
- You attend SOAR, but decide not to attend UNCG.
- You do not attend SOAR, but do attend UNCG.
Foreign Language Placement Evaluations
If you have studied French, German, or Spanish in high school, you will need to complete the Additional Language Placement Diagnostic before your SOAR session.
The diagnostic must be proctored (either face-to-face or via video call). To schedule a time complete it, please contact Danielle Fiore (email@example.com).
The diagnostic will take 15-30 minutes to complete and is multiple choice (no listening or speaking involved).
Your advisor will help you understand what your score means, and how to use that information in shaping your Spring 2024 schedule. For more information on the value of studying a language and the purpose of the diagnostic, visit the webpage for Languages, Literature and Cultures.
Math Placement Evaluation
Depending on your major, you may need to take the UNCG Calculus Readiness Diagnostic. You have two attempts to complete the Diagnostic. You should take your first attempt as soon as possible (ideally before your SOAR session).
The deadline to complete your second attempt is January 1, 2024.
To access the Diagnostic:
- Visit the MathStats website.
- Click the “Registration for the Calculus Readiness Diagnostic” link on the right-hand side of the page.
- The diagnostic will be added as a course to your Canvas Page. You will need your iSpartan username and password to log in.
Once you are logged into Canvas, click on the Calculus Readiness Diagnostic, where you’ll find resources to help you prepare as well as the link to take the Diagnostic.