At SOAR, new students become a part of UNCG by interacting with other students, faculty, and staff in small, informal groups. Students will plan an academic program with an academic advisor, complete all registration procedures, and experience the unique culture and spirit of UNCG.
Online reservations open Monday, October 16th.
The January transfer SOAR is a one-day program and all newly admitted students are required to attend.
Make Your SOAR Reservation
- Log in to your SpartanLink account
- Click Steps to Enrolling
- Confirm your acceptance to UNCG
- Click Make your SOAR Reservation and select the session you will be attending
- Be sure to register any parents or family members attending SOAR
The New Student Fee is a standalone fee which covers all SOAR student program costs, accommodations and materials. This fee will be automatically added to your student account and is unable to be waived.
Please note: The New Student Fee (SOAR fee) is still applicable if you attend SOAR, even if you decide not to attend UNCG.
Students do not pay their New Student Fee at SOAR. The new student fee is applied directly to the student account.
Please print and bring the SOAR schedule to your SOAR session:
Download the PDF here
- 8:00-9:00am: Student Check-in – EUC Auditorium
- 8:00-9:00am: Parent & Family Check-in – EUC Azalea
- 8:00-9:00am: Self-Guided Time (Spartan EXPO, Tours, SpartanCard Photos, etc.)
- 9:05-9:25am: SOAR Welcome – EUC Cone Ballroom
- 9:25-9:55am: Student Support – EUC Cone Ballroom
- 10:00-10:40am: Transfer & Adult Student Panel
- 10:00-10:40am: Parent & Family Welcome
- 10:45-11:00am: Academic Welcome
- 11:05am-11:30am: Student Small Groups
- 11:05am-11:30am: Coffee & Questions, UNCG Bookstore (Parent & Family session)
- 11:35am-12:05pm: Block Session A
- 12:10-12:40pm: Block Session B
- 12:45pm-1:30pm: Lunch
- 1:45pm: Academic Advising & Course Registration
Before You SOAR
We do not provide overnight accommodations during the January SOAR program. Parents and Family may choose one of our local area hotels. We highly recommend one of our SOAR sponsors. Please ask for the “SOAR Rate” when making reservations to the local hotel.
O’Henry & Proximity* Discounted rates at the beautiful O.Henry & Proximity hotels are available during SOAR. Use the code “SPARTANS” in the Special Offers/Corporate Code section OR book directly below.
For reservations call: 800-DRURYINN (800-378-7946) and ask for the UNCG rate. You may also book online.
Other Area Hotels
- Hilton Garden Inn
- Sheraton Four Seasons/Koury Convention Center
- Best Western Plus Greensboro Coliseum Area
Freshman living on-campus and attending the January SOAR session should contact Housing and Residence Life for details about moving in before your SOAR session. If you have other questions or concerns about your move-in date, please contact Housing and Residence Life.
Advising and Registration by Appointment (ARA)
As a newly admitted transfer student, you will be required to attend an Advising and Registration by Appointment meeting, ARA, with an academic advisor in your College or School prior to you being eligible to register for classes; ARA should be completed before your SOAR session. ARA allows transfer students to benefit from a one on one advising appointment with an academic advisor. Transfer students are still required to attend SOAR.
Spring 2018 Admittance
You can expect to see emails to your iSpartan account from your College or Professional School beginning late November to early December with information on the next step you will need to follow.
It is recommended that you attend an ARA session before attending New Spartan Orientation, Advising, and Registration, SOAR, however, advising and registration will be available at January SOAR.
If you are admitted to UNCG after the close of ARA, you will be offered an advising time during SOAR.
Please remember that although ARA is available before your SOAR session, you will still be required to attend SOAR.
Directions & Parking
Spartan Directions is designed to provide quick driving and walking directions to all UNCG campus buildings.
Walker Avenue Parking Deck
1360 Walker Avenue
Take Care of These Items
W9S Tax Form
Once You Arrive at SOAR
Winter Weather Plan
Resources for Academic Success