At SOAR, new students become a part of UNCG by interacting with other students, faculty, and staff in small, informal groups. Students will plan an academic program with an academic advisor, complete all registration procedures, and experience the unique culture and spirit of UNCG.
Online reservations open Monday, October 16th.
The January Freshman SOAR is a one-day program and all newly admitted students are required to attend.
Make Your SOAR Reservation
- Log in to your SpartanLink account
- Click Steps to Enrolling
- Confirm your acceptance to UNCG
- Click Make your SOAR Reservation and select the session you will be attending
- Be sure to register any parents or family members attending SOAR
Family SOAR Fee
$25.00 if paid by January 2nd (last day to register online)
$35.00 on-site payment amount
Young Children and Friends
The transition to college is an exciting time for the entire family; however, we recommend that young children do not attend. Our program is not designed to accommodate the unique needs and interests of younger people. If children must accompany family members during SOAR, please note that each guest must pay a guest fee, regardless of age.
Please print and bring the SOAR schedule to your SOAR session:
Download the PDF here
- 8:00-9:00am: Student Check-in – EUC Auditorium
- 8:00-9:00am: Parent & Family Check-in – EUC Azalea
- 8:00-9:00am: Self-Guided Time (Spartan EXPO, Tours, SpartanCard Photos, etc.)
- 9:05-9:25am: SOAR Welcome – EUC Cone Ballroom
- 9:25-9:55am: Student Support – EUC Cone Ballroom
- 10:00-10:40am: Transfer & Adult Student Panel
- 10:00-10:40am: Parent & Family Welcome
- 10:45-11:00am: Academic Welcome
- 11:05am-11:30am: Student Small Groups
- 11:05am-11:30am: Coffee & Questions, UNCG Bookstore (Parent & Family session)
- 11:35am-12:05pm: Block Session A
- 12:10-12:40pm: Block Session B
- 12:45pm-1:30pm: Lunch
- 1:45pm: Academic Advising & Course Registration
Before You SOAR
We do not provide overnight accommodations during the January SOAR program. Parents and Family may choose one of our local area hotels. We highly recommend one of our SOAR sponsors. Please ask for the “SOAR Rate” when making reservations to the local hotel.
O’Henry & Proximity* Discounted rates at the beautiful O.Henry & Proximity hotels are available during SOAR. Use the code “SPARTANS” in the Special Offers/Corporate Code section OR book directly below.
For reservations call: 800-DRURYINN (800-378-7946) and ask for the UNCG rate. You may also book online.
Other Area Hotels
- Hilton Garden Inn
- Sheraton Four Seasons/Koury Convention Center
- Best Western Plus Greensboro Coliseum Area
Freshman living on-campus and attending the January SOAR session should contact Housing and Residence Life for details about moving in before your SOAR session. If you have other questions or concerns about your move-in date, please contact Housing and Residence Life.
Directions & Parking
Spartan Directions is designed to provide quick driving and walking directions to all UNCG campus buildings.
Walker Avenue Parking Deck
1360 Walker Avenue
Take Care of These Items
W9S Tax Form
Once You Arrive at SOAR
Winter Weather Plan
Resources for Academic Success