First-year retention initiatives are guided by the following first-year student outcomes:
At UNCG each first-year student will...
Explore and connect with UNC Greensboro’s many people, programs, and resources.
Develop a strong foundational support system to aid in their academic and personal success.
Cultivate a sense of Spartan Pride and affinity for UNCG.
The First-Year Retention Network is a campus-wide partnership made up of individuals who are committed to and have an impact on first-year retention.
This committee is charged with:
- Assessing current and recommending new first-year retention initiatives.
- Overseeing and coordinating first-year retention initiatives within specific academic or support areas. All units of the university will be expected to work with the committee in the development and implementation of first-year retention initiatives.
- Monitoring progress toward first-year retention goals and participation of academic units/departments across campus.
- Considering ways to create a seamless hand-off to sophomore year retention efforts to improve overall persistence.
- Developing baseline measures and a timeline for future first-year retention initiatives, within an assessment framework.
The First Year Connect Team, made up of staff in Student Success, assist with:
- Monitoring Starfish flags for all first-year students
- Notifying faculty and/or staff in direct contact with students who receive multiple Starfish Flags in order to provide targeted outreach and support
- Collaborating with Institutional Research to develop and distribute exit surveys to students who do not return to UNCG