First-year retention initiatives are guided by the following first-year student outcomes:
At UNCG each first-year student will…
- Explore and connect with UNC Greensboro’s many people, programs, and resources.
- Develop a strong foundational support system to aid in their academic and personal success.
- Cultivate a sense of Spartan Pride and affinity for UNCG.
The First-Year Retention Network is a campus-wide partnership made up of individuals who are committed to and have an impact on first-year retention.
This committee is charged with:
- Assessing current and recommending new first-year retention initiatives.
- Overseeing and coordinating first-year retention initiatives within specific academic or support areas. All units of the university will be expected to work with the committee in the development and implementation of first-year retention initiatives.
- Monitoring progress toward first-year retention goals and participation of academic units/departments across campus.
- Considering ways to create a seamless hand-off to sophomore year retention efforts to improve overall persistence.
- Developing baseline measures and a timeline for future first-year retention initiatives, within an assessment framework.
Darian Rader, Graduate Assistant for First Year Retention
Melody Rood, Student Success Librarian
The First Year Connect Team, made up of staff in Student Success, assist with:
- Monitoring Starfish flags for all first-year students
- Notifying faculty and/or staff in direct contact with students who receive multiple Starfish Flags in order to provide targeted outreach and support
- Collaborating with Institutional Research to develop and distribute exit surveys to students who do not return to UNCG